Ways of connecting
Ways to position yourself:
When you become part of the Patmos Companions – the Order of St Columba, there are some areas which may relate to you:
You are able:
1 Stay in Your Own Home
2 Remain in Your Own Denomination
3 Discern and Shape your own way of service (with help)
4 Choose your Own Level of Commitment
and you do all this in a supportive environment, with spiritual friends and advisors of your own choosing.
As you may see, the Order of St Columba is an association for men, women and couples who desire to pursue their journey as individuals in companionship.
Members live at home and might connect to a mainstream community of their choice. Each person selects the appropriate ‘entry-point’ for them. It is more likely however that one's desire for disciplined commitment will grow, rather than diminish, and we are all encouraged to deepen our level of service .
Alternatively a person may choose to be a part of the journey for a particular length of time, striving to become a kind of 'hidden' servant of those one meets following the ancient wisdom “After enlightenment, the marketplace".
If you feel something of this may work for, you may wish:
- to consult wise friends, or
- you may wish to contact the Abbey,
- you may wish to begin by taking part in the e-mail group, or
- a companion - or soul friend - with whom you can speak about every aspect of your life
- You will also need an ongoing Director from your own tradition (or from the Abbey network, if you are exploring life in a particularly Celtic way already)
Where to begin:
- Think it over. Make lists, pro and anti, ask yourself what is attracting you, and what that implies about your own vocation.
- Find someone you trust, and ask them if they're willing to walk the walk with you. Be sure that this is a wise and straightforward person, as well as being someone you like to be with.
- Ask for guidance to send you the right Anam Cara - Soul-Friend for you. Then start looking, and asking and researching right now. "When the pupil is ready the teacher appears."
- It is probably a good idea to have access to a wise counsellor anyway. Especially if this person is sympathetic to the fundamental notion of a consecrated or dedicated way of life...
- See what happens...!!